Classic Pumpkin Soup
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 tablespoons plain flour
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 1kg peeled pumpkin, diced
• 1 large potato, peeled, diced
• 1L Massel chicken style liquid stock or vegetable liquid stock
• 1/2 cup (125ml) thin cream
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add onion and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
2. Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add pumpkin, potato and stock and bring to the boil. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then blend in batches.
3. Return soup to pan, stir through cream and reheat gently. Season and add a little more nutmeg if desired.
*Serve with sour cream and crusty bread