Hearty Chicken & Vegetable CasseroleINGREDIENTS
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 kg chicken thighs
• 1 brown onion chopped
• 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
• 2 carrots half lengthways and cut into discs
• 2 potatoes peeled and diced
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 2 Roma tomatoes diced
• 2 tablespoons spelt flour
• 400 ml 2 cups boiling chicken stock
• Sea salt and black pepper
• 1 tablespoon thyme or oregano or mixed Italian herbs
• 1 zucchini, diced
• 4 white button mushrooms, cut in halves
• ¼ broccoli, cut into small pieces
1.Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish (or deep fry pan) to medium heat. Season chicken thighs and brown and seal on both sides for few minutes each. Remove and set aside. Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan oven).
2.Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and potatoes to the pan, and cook, stirring, for around 5 minutes. Add the peas, mushrooms and tomato and cook for further 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the vegetables are cooking, chop the chicken into small pieces.
3.Stir in the flour, cook for 2 mins, then pour in the stock. Season to taste, then return the browned chicken to the casserole dish and pour over the vegetable/broth mixture. Add zucchini and broccoli.
4.Cover and cook in the oven 30 mins. until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is hot and thickened. Serve in bowls, accompanied with some fresh rustic bread, so comforting!