Winter White Bean Soup
This bean soup is easy to make and budget-friendly. It tastes and smells amazing and it’s ready in just 20 minutes!
• 2 cans (28oz – 800 grams)cannellini beans or white beans, drained
• 1 medium-size onion, diced
• 1 celery stalk, diced
• 1 large carrot, diced
• 1-2 garlic cloves, diced or pressed
• 1 cup (7 oz – 200 grams), frozen spinach * (optional)
• 2 medium-size potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving
• 1 Tbsp tomato paste
• 1/3 cup (80 ml) white wine
• 1 sprig Rosemary
• 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth or hot water
• 1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
• 1/2 tsp fine salt, plus more to taste
• 1/8 tsp black pepper, plus more to taste
1. Saute’ onion, carrot, celery in olive oil for 5 minutes
2. Add beans, garlic, tomato paste, potatoes, rosemary and a pinch of salt and pepper
3. Stir in the wine, toss well and simmer until it has evaporated, cooking for another minute.
4. Then add the frozen spinach, the vegetable broth and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pot, reduce heat and cook gently for 15 minutes.
5. When the potatoes are soft and the soup is thick and creamy, remove the pot from heat, then remove the sprig rosemary*. Taste and season with salt and pepper. (Add a pinch of salt at the beginning + 1/2 tsp later. You might need more salt, depending on your vegetable broth and on your personal preferences.)
6. Divide into bowls, drizzle with olive oil or extra virgin olive oil, add more freshly ground black pepper if you like. Serve with crusty bread and, add freshly grated parmesan cheese for extra flavour. Enjoy!