Fresh Falafel Wraps
If you’ve never made home-made falafels before then you may be fooled into thinking that they are hard to make, especially as getting the perfect texture is key. You want a lovely moist interior with a delicious, crisp outer layer. However, it is actually super simple to create this recipe!INGREDIENTS
• 2 cups split broad beans
• 1 cup chickpeas
• Handful of Parsley
• 1 onion
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1.5 tablespoons falafel spice
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• pinch of cayenne pepper (optional) A pinch of salt
• 1 tablespoon baking powder (used only before frying) Sunflower oil for frying (enough to fill up your saucepan)
For the wrap:
• Pita bread
• Ready falafels
• Tahini dressing
*Optional: Pink Pickles / Pickled Turnips (Can be found in most supermarkets, or try the online Australian-Lebanese Grocery: https://www.lebanesegrocery.com.au/
Tahini Dressing for the Wrap:
• 1 cup yogurt natural or plant-based
• 1/2 cup tahini
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• garlic clove
• 1/8 tsp cumin powder
• A pinch of salt
• Filtered water in case the dressing is too thick
1. Wash the beans and chickpeas and then leave them to soak in cold water over night. Drain and rinse well, when ready to proceed with the falafel recipe.
2. Blend all the falafel base ingredients in a food processor/blender until you obtain a smooth uniform mixture. They should have a beautiful green colour.
3. When you are ready to fry the falafels, add 1 tablespoon baking powder to the mix. The baking powder should only be added at the last moment before frying. This adds an ‘airiness’ to the mix that is needed for the perfect texture.
4. Heat up a few inches of sunflower oil in a saucepan until it bubbles softly. Using a falafel scoop or a spoon/fork, form the falafels patties and carefully dip them in the hot oil. After 3-4 minutes, carefully turn them over. The falafels are ready when they become golden-brown in colour. Lay on a piece of paper towel to drain off any excess cooking oil, although there shouldn’t be much!
5. To prepare the tahini dressing, mix all the dip ingredients together well and set aside.
6.Prepare the rest of the wrap ingredients by chopping the veggies, creating a variety of textures; grate/julienne the cucumber, roughly chop lettuce and thinly slice the various other bits.
7. To create the wrap, open a traditional pita bread, lay the veggies and falafel on it, then add some tahini dressing. Roll the bread and your Fresh Falafel Wrap is ready to enjoy!