Fresh Spring Rolls
Roll into Spring with these refreshingly healthy Spring Rolls! You can have fun with the ingredients, like use more carrot instead of cucumber, or extra cabbage in place of the lettuce, or add something extra like cooked chicken or shrimp!
• 2 ounces rice vermicelli noodles
• 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1 cup torn butter lettuce, ribs removed
• 1 cup very thinly sliced red cabbage
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks or sliced into strips
• 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced or sliced
• 2 medium jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced (optional)
•¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
• ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
• ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh mint
• 8 sheets rice paper (spring roll wrappers)
1. To make the spring rolls: Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the noodles just until al dente, according to package directions. Drain, rinse them under cool water, and return them to the pot. Off the heat, toss the noodles with the sesame oil and salt, and set aside.
2. Fill a shallow pan (a pie pan or 9″ round cake pan works great) with an inch of water. Fold a lint-free tea towel in half and place it next to the dish. Make sure your prepared fillings are within reach. Combine the green onion, cilantro and mint in a small bowl, and stir.
3. Place one rice paper in the water and let it rest for about 20 seconds, give or take. You’ll learn to go by feel here—wait until the sheet is pliable but not super floppy. Carefully lay it flat on the towel.
4. Leaving about 1 inch of open rice paper around the edges, cover the lower third of the paper with a few pieces of butter lettuce, followed by a small handful of rice noodles, some cabbage, and a few strips of carrot, cucumber and jalapeño and sprinkle generously with the herb mix.
5. Fold the lower edge up over the fillings, rolling upward just until the filling is compactly enclosed. Fold over the short sides like you would to make a burrito. Lastly, roll it up. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Your Fresh Spring Rolls are ready to serve with your favourite dipping sauce!