Succulent Standing Prime Rib Roast
Preparing the perfect Prime Rib is very easy! Also called Standing Rib Roast, this impressive cut of beef is melt in your mouth tender and juicy! Here we have a simple recipe, giving you a perfect roast that is nothing short of amazing…and the leftovers make for some fantastic next day meals! For some inspiration see our ‘Leftover Makeover ~ Beef Quesadillas’ recipe here
Quick Tip: For a perfect result, bring the meat to room temperature before roasting.
• 2.5 kilogram standing rib roast beef
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• Fresh rosemary and thyme leaves
• Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Rub olive oil over beef, sprinkle with herbs and season with salt & pepper to taste.
3. Place beef on a rack in a baking dish. Place in the preheated oven (uncovered) for 30 minutes, then reduce to 160°C and cook until it reaches your desired doneness. The final prime roast temperature for Rare meat is 60°C, Medium is 71°C and Well Done is 77°C.
Plan on about 15-20 minutes per pound, until cooked to your taste. (A meat thermometer can be bought at most supermarkets, hardware stores or try your local butchers). Remove from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes covered in foil (This allows the juices to flow back into the meat) before carving enough meat for one dinner.
4. Gravy Tip: Add some red wine to the pan juices. Bring to the boil. Boil until reduced and thickened. Serve as a gravy over the beef.
5. For some extra pizzazz, spread beef with mustard or horseradish before sprinkling with herbs and extra seasonings if desired. Perfect with jacket potatoes and baked or steamed vegetables.
Dinner is served!