Charming Chicken Parmigiana
There are many different variants of Chicken Parmigiana recipes in the world, but this one is our favourite! Crispy well-seasoned chicken, a flavourful tomato sauce with a kiss of sweetness and of course, lots of melty cheese. It’s easy, simple and classic
• 3 Chicken breasts halved horizontally
• 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup plain flour
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 tablespoon milk
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 brown onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed, extra
• 700g bottle tomato passata (passata=Italian Tomato sauces)
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus extra to serve
• 1/2 x 250g ball buffalo-style mozzarella, sliced
• 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan
• Salad leaves and chips, to serve
1.Combine rind, garlic and oregano in a large shallow bowl. Add breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Place flour in a bowl. Whisk egg and milk in a separate shallow bowl. Working with 1 chicken piece at a time, toss in flour. Dip in egg mixture, then press in breadcrumb mixture to coat. Transfer to a plate.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
3. Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add extra garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant, Stir in passata and basil. Season. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
4. Preheat grill on medium-high. Spoon half the passata mixture onto a baking tray. Top with chicken. Spoon over remaining passata mixture. Top chicken with mozzarella and parmesan. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Stand for 2 minutes. Top with extra basil. Serve with salad and chips… time to impress your guests!